Development and Performance Evaluation of a Vacuum Drum Based Water Pumping System

Kamalkant *

Department of Soil and Water Engineering, SVCAET & RS, FAE, IGKV, Raipur-492012, Chhattisgarh, India.

Jitendra Sinha

Department of Soil and Water Engineering, SVCAET & RS, FAE, IGKV, Raipur-492012, Chhattisgarh, India.

Fanesh Kumar

Department of Soil and Water Engineering, SVCAET & RS, FAE, IGKV, Raipur-492012, Chhattisgarh, India.

Jeet Raj

Department of Soil and Water Engineering, SVCAET & RS, FAE, IGKV, Raipur-492012, Chhattisgarh, India.

*Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.


Abstract

A vacuum drum based water pumping system (VDBWPS) is a cost effective system for lifting and carrying water from a nearby flowing canal/nallah as well as from standing water of farm pond/open well. The main component of the developed system includes of a mild steel (MS) drum, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe, jointer, elbow joint, T-joint, L-joint, regulator valve, and foot valve. In this system water can be filled manually or via other devices, such as a solar pump or a treadle pump. The drum's capacity is nearly 80% filled, and the remaining 20% is kept empty. A continuous supply is created by closing both air release valves and opening the discharge valve. More is the vacuum, better will be the pumping. The testing of vacuum drum based water pumping system was evaluated at different suction lift and carrying horizontal distances, both affecting the discharge. The result show that the water pumping system gave a discharge 2.22 to 2.40 litre per minute (lpm) at a constant suction lift of 0.92 meter (m) and varying distances 0 to 12 m. it was also found that the discharge increase with the distance having peak discharge at 6 m i.e. 3.75 lpm and afterwards it decreases gradually as the carrying length increases. The vacuum drum based water pumping system can give a discharge of 5400 litre per day (lpd) at 0.92 m of suction lift and carrying horizontal distance of 6 m. The cost of operation of vacuum drum based water pumping system was 352.41 ₹/day. It has always been a demand that the "technology should be technically feasible, economically viable and socially acceptable".

Keywords: Vacuum, discharge, suction lift, distance, economic cost, vacuum drum based water pumping system pumping system (VDBWPS)


How to Cite

Kamalkant, Sinha , J., Kumar , F., & Raj, J. (2024). Development and Performance Evaluation of a Vacuum Drum Based Water Pumping System. Journal of Scientific Research and Reports, 30(3), 68–75. https://doi.org/10.9734/jsrr/2024/v30i31859

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

Singh SK, Parihar A. Challenges of sustainable agriculture development in India. Journal of Agroecology and Natural Resource Management. 2015;10(5): 355-359.

Florke M, Schneider C, McDonald RI. Water competition between cities and agriculture driven by climate change and urban growth. Nature Sustainability. 2018;1(1):51-58.

Yannopoulos SI, Lyberatos G, Theodossiou N, Li W, Valipour M, Tamburrino A, Angelakis AN. Evolution of water lifting devices (pumps) over the centuries worldwide. Water. 2015;7(9): 5031-60.

Mays LW. A brief history of water technology during antiquity: Before the Romans. Springer Netherlands; 2010.

Addala S. Design and modelling of vacuum pumping systems for laboratory scale applications. Thesis Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela 769008, India. 2015;1.

Berman A. Total pressure measurements in vacuum technology. Academic Press, Inc. Orlando. 1985;18.

Yenphayab, C. Study the engineering aspect of an advance siphon pump (Pha Ya Rangh Hai Nam) for a small farm irrigation. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 2019; 301(1):1-7.

Huang S, Guo J, Yi T, Li S, Wu T. Study on the calculation method for pumping process in as vacuum system. International Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2021;2097.

Shomayramov M, Norkulov B, Rakhmanov J, Tadjiyeva D, Suyunov J. Experimental researches of hydraulic vacuum breakdown devices of siphon outlets of pumping stations. E3S Web of Conference. 2019;97:1-7.

Young Robert M. Analysis of a micro-machine based vacuum pump on a chip actuated by the thermal transpiration effect. Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology. 1999;17(2):280-287.